[Rhodes22-list] Captain Peter Thorn - Term Captain is Correct

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Tue May 2 16:18:04 EDT 2006

To that end, the USCG designation (that most people refer to) is not "captain", it's actually "master". The "six-pack" that most people refer to as a "captain's license" is a actually a OUPV (Operator of an Uninspected Passenger Vessel). After that, comes a Masters, that allows the holder to operate an inspected passenger vessel.

If you're in charge of the boat, whether you prefer skipper, captain, or hey you, you're really the captain.

>>> ekroposki at charter.net 5/2/2006 1:36:10 pm >>>

Peter,
      The term Captain is a nautical term for the person in charge of the
boat and having legal responsibility for it and its passengers and crew.
You object to the term, does that mean you are NEVER in charge?  In that
case you have been misleading us.  I am sorry that I did not understand your
situation.  Thank you for correcting all of us.  The term Captain used
herein does not originate from the heading of U. S. Coast Guard license or
military rank.
       Did you read what Rummy said about that tiller extension holder.  We
all know that Rummy has a router.  I am sure he knows that a router bit with
a quarter round down each edge produces a smooth edge on HDPE.  Then the
device is faced backward.  I have been sailing with it for all these years
and have not had a problem.  But then I do not drink Rum... could that be
what causes his problem?

Ed K
Greenville SC USA

Sent from the Rhodes22 forum at Nabble.com.