[Rhodes22-list] Captain Peter Thorn - Champion Sailboat Racer

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Tue May 2 22:25:09 EDT 2006

Rummy,

I'm too new at this to know if I have a problem!  By cool do you mean  the
tiller extender or throttle shift assembly, or the the linkage to the motor
from the tiller?  I think that from Stan's perspective at least the latter  2 are
part of the UPP package.

The tiller extender appears to work well.  Also, it's a commercial  product,
I could dig out the name if you wanted it.  The extender  attaches to the
tiller as per the pict.  At the other end you have to  cut a small approx 2x4
rectangle in the seat back to mount the notched  panel shown in the picture,
that's it. If you want to lock the  extender in place, there's a ball on the end of
the extender that fits in the  notch, you shove it up and it's locked; slap
it down and it's free.   The extender length is adjusted by twisting the end
and telescoping as  needed, I'd have to get the min/max lengths for you. I'm not
sure whether  it's unique to Stan's R22, or whether it was a mod the previous
owner put  in, Stan could tell you.  I can dig up the manufacturer if you
wanted  it.

The throttle/shift linkage also works well, I'm sure that's part of the  UPP.
 The mounting is Stan's implementation but I think the parts are
commercially available.  Initially I was concerned that the linkage  would be on the fore
end of the tiller and get in the way, but Stan straightened  me out.  The way
he has it mounted is pretty nice, it doesn't get in the  way.  You don't know
it's there unless you're motoring.

I'm still working on the rudder linkage to the motor, which is also  part of
the UPP.  I don't think you can have the linkage in place if you  raise the
motor, which might be interesting if you have the linkage in  place and just hit
the up switch.  I think, but am not sure, that there is  a possibility you
could break it.  I haven't used the linkage yet, turning  the rudder seems to do
the job, but I'm still experimenting.

Dave