[Rhodes22-list] Hey Brad

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Mon May 15 15:39:59 EDT 2006

Bob,

Interesting that you used an article from Eclipse.
The micro-jet market is the new, new thing, and
Eclipse has Microsoft money behind them.  Some of the
others won't make the final cut.  The new aircraft
business is infamous for eating capital and most won't
survive, Eclipse will.  The same is true of FBO's.  If
I were you I'd develop a series of questions about
their financing and what they see as their market.
The real money in GA is in servicing fractional
ownership shares of corporate jets.  There simply
isn't enough Joe Blow weekend flyers to support an FBO
anymore.  Ask who they think their main competition
is:  other SUS FBO's or Bi-State, East Alton FBO's,
etc.  What niche are they seeking?  Fuel, maintenance,
charter, training?  MidCoast Aviation used to be the
big player in STL and opened an FBO in Little Rock
that got bought by my former employer, CFS.   I
remember 25 years ago asking Mr. Holbert of Central
Flying Service (now deceased) if he thought they'd get
enough of our business to survive.  The 'ole man"
Claude said, "Son, if they got all my business they
couldn't survive".  They didn't.  With the FBO
business it is all about overhead, and upfront costs.
Your potential new employer better have deep pockets
or a really sweet political deal with the airport.
The best case is corporate owners that don't care
about making money.  It has always been a tough, tough
business and nothing has changed in that regard.  It
sure is fun though and if you've got the bug, nothing
will cure it but to jump in.

Brad

http://www.eclipseaviation.com/index.php?option=com_newsroom&task=viewarticle&id=1019&Itemid=347
> Both co.s relied heavly on Capital Investment money.
>  The article also
> suggest that consolidation is the best way to make
> it work.  That makes
> sense the auto rental people did the same thing.  If
> you think of some good
> questions for me to ask that would be great.  BW
>

> >From: brad haslett <flybrad at yahoo.com>
> >To: The Rhodes 22 mail list
> <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>
> >Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Hey Brad
> >Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 11:51:57 -0700 (PDT)
> >
> >Bob
> >
> >Let me do some homework.  Despite having a recent
> MBA
> >from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, I'm
> really
> >out of the loop on GA.  My guess is that things
> >haven't changed that much and they're
> >under-capitalized, unless they have a corporate
> angel.
> >  Getting a contract based on profits will be tough
> >(been there, done that) but not impossible.  Ask
> them
> >for a pro-forma income statement and a business
> plan.
> >If they hesitate they are either not shooting
> straight
> >or "betting on the come".  After working for
> Central
> >Flying Service in Little Rock for five years, one
> of
> >the best, I wouldn't hesitate a bit about being
> >confrontational with any aspiring FBO about what
> makes
> >them think they can succeed in a market with so
> high a
> >death rate.
> >
> >Brad
> >
> >--- Bob Weber <ruba1811 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Brad, They are looking for their first hire who
> will
> > > be incharge of hiring
> > > the rest of the group and starting the bus.
> Their
> > > operation in Kansas is
> > > pretty impressive
> http://www.midwestaviation.com/
> > > It would be a hard job
> > > the first year or so but if I can get my income
> tied
> > > to profitability it
> > > would be worth it.  If you think of any place
> that I
> > > could check to be
> > > better informed for my next meeting, drop me a
> [...]
=== message truncated ===