[Rhodes22-list] Carmen launches at Grass Island

andrew collins engineerpac at gmail.com
Tue May 16 14:43:13 EDT 2006

Hi gang -

Elton delivered our blue hulled '86 recycled R22, to be christened
Carmen. We launched and she's moored off the point looking stately and
elegant. A photo will go up on the frapper site as soon as I can get one
that does her justice. The whole set-up procedure was routine under Elton's
guidance. He directed while I labored.
The hydraulic trailer operator in the yard got nervous when we approached
the ramp as he had 7 keel boats to get into the water last Saturday. Elton
had him timed at a 15 minute interval per boat minimum, so we were in and
gone before he even had the next boat on his trailer. There is nothing like
experience and good design.
The one item that stands out during the set-up is the mast hoist system,
which makes it possible to set up the mast and rigging solo, with no
worries, no hand tools and no hurry. Anyone in the Greenwich area who needs
a hand and a hoist for mast raising should call me after procuring the
required six pack, rum also acccepted. Ditto at the end of the season.

The used 6 HP Mercury two-stroke ran well during the launch, and I hope it
treats me well.
The whole thing was painless except for the normal aches associated with two
guys who are stiffer than they once were. I enjoyed the whole thing.

Thank you Stan and Elton.

Andrew