[Rhodes22-list] alternative energy

Ronald Lipton rlipton at earthlink.net
Wed May 17 18:40:47 EDT 2006

Bob Park of the American Physical Society has been keeping track of these
scams and "overstatements".  Basically, the claims that net power is derived
from water by splitting and recombining the molecules violates
thermodynamics.
I would place my bets on the laws of thermodynamics rather than Fox News.
A few examples:

 2. PATENT NONSENSE: INFINITE ENERGY MEETS INFINITE BANDWIDTH.
On Tuesday, BlackLight Power was awarded a patent for a chemical means of
shrinking hydrogen atoms into "a state below the ground state." The, uh,
inventor, Randall Mills, calls his teeny little hydrogen atoms "hydrinos"
(WN 22 Jan 99). Mills describes them as, "the most important discovery of
all time...up there with fire." The second most important discovery, I
suppose, would be to find the hydrino line in the spectrum. In November, a
patent was awarded to Media Fusion for Advanced Sub-Carrier Modulation, a
method of transmitting data over ordinary power lines with a 10 GHz
bandwidth. The claim is that magnetic fields surrounding the conductor can
act as a waveguide. In a classic understatement, the Electric Power Research
Institute (EPRI) has issued a warning to members that Media Fusion's claims
"lack scientific merit."

 2. PATENT NONSENSE: COURT DENIES BLACKLIGHT POWER APPEAL.
The status of BlackLight Power's intellectual property is fuzzier than ever.
BLP was awarded Patent 6,024,935 for "Lower-Energy Hydrogen Methods and
Structures," a process for getting hydrogen atoms into a "state below the
ground state" (WN 18 Feb 00). You might expect these shrunken hydrogen
atoms, called "hydrinos," to have a pretty special chemistry. Do they ever!
Indeed, a second patent application titled "Hydride Compounds" had been
assigned a number and BLP had paid the fee. Several other patents were in
the works. That's when things started heading South. Prompted by an outside
inquiry (who would do such a thing?), the patent director became concerned
that this hydrino stuff required the orbital electron to behave "contrary to
the known laws of physics and chemistry." The Hydride Compounds application
was withdrawn for further review and the other patent applications were
rejected. Since the one patent already issued involves the same violations
of basic laws of physics, there is a cloud over its status as well. BLP
filed suit in federal court arguing that it was too late for the Patent
Office to change its mind. The court was not impressed, so BLP appealed the
decision. In denying the appeal, the court said the Patent Office has a
responsibility to take "extraordinary action" to withdraw a questionable
patent. The long-awaited IPO may have to wait a little longer.

 3. GENESIS PROJECT: A REALLY GOOD SCAM CAN BE USED OVER AND OVER.
Back in the early '70s, an inventor named Sam Leach claimed to have built a
car that used ordinary water as a fuel. The idea was simple: You use
electrolysis to decompose the water into oxygen and hydrogen and then use
the hydrogen as a fuel to run the engine and generate electricity for the
separation. So there you have it: You start with water and end up with water
plus work. Scientists scoffed: it would take more energy to decompose the
water than you could get from the combustion of hydrogen. Ordinarily yes,
Leach agreed, but he had a secret catalyst that reduced the energy of
decomposition. The great thing about the First Law of Thermodynamics,
however, is that it doesn't care what's in your secret box, it gives you the
limit of any process. Leach raised millions from investors and then retired
to a seaside villa in California. Who needs a car that runs on water when
you have a chauffeur-driven Rolls-Royce? The rumor spread that he had been
bought off by the oil companies. Now something called Genesis World Energy
is running the same scam over again
3. HYDROGEN ECONOMY: "NEW CATALYST PRODUCES HYDROGEN FROM WATER."
Well, not exactly. The prospect of a hydrogen economy hinges on the ability
to produce hydrogen economically. Thirty years ago, an inventor named Sam
Leach claimed to have invented a car that ran on water. He said it used a
secret catalyst to dissociate water. That would be thermodynamically
impossible. But a brief report in Scientific American last week implied a
new rhenium catalyst might dissociate water. It was based on an article in
the Journal of the American Chemical Society, but the title of the story in
SA was misleading. The hydrogen was from catalytic oxidation of
organosilanes. Cars still won't run on water

 3. HYDRINOS: HONEY, I SHRUNK THE HYDROGEN.
Well, he's back! Randy Mills, MD Harvard '86, burst upon the scientific
world six years ago when he discovered a simple way to get hydrogen atoms
into a state below the ground state. The result is teensy little hydrogen
atoms he calls "hydrinos" and a big wad of energy. It was a crushing blow to
physicists, who imagined they understood the hydrogen atom. Mills' company,
HydroCatalysis Power, sold a couple of his devices (which look a lot like
cold fusion cells) to NASA Lewis, where they vanished. HydroCatalysis has
since reemerged as BlackLight Power, and sources tell WN that several
utilities are ready to put money in it. Hmmm, it may be time to look back
and see if we got the harmonic oscillator right.

 2. TINY HYDROGEN ATOMS INVOKED TO EXPLAIN "COLD FUSION" CLAIMS!
>From the beginning, physicists marvelled at the robust health of Pons and
Fleischmann. At the power levels they claimed from cold fusion cells, even
the cockroaches in their lab should have been exterminated by radiation. The
explanation, it was revealed in a press conference yesterday in Lancaster,
PA, is that there wasn't much fusion going on to begin with. Big news, you
are probably saying! So where did the heat come from? That's the surprising
part; it comes from shrinking the hydrogen atoms! This is done by getting
the atoms into a state BELOW the ground state. If the shrunken atoms are
deuterons, of course, they may fuse from time to time, which explains why
cold fusion results are erratic. This remarkable discovery was made by Randy
Mills, MD Harvard Medical School, '86 and will be published by Fusion
Technology in August.