[Rhodes22-list] Link

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Wed May 17 20:08:22 EDT 2006

Rummy,

I see these things and I just shake my head.  It’s well know that  standard
electrolysis of water breaks H2O down into H2 and O.  H2 can also  be written
as HH if you’re a marketer.

It takes energy to support the electrolysis, basically you’re putting the
binding energy of the H2O molecule into the system so that you de-bond H2O and
get the elemental H. H and O.  HH and O are 2 gases.  If you  oxidize  the HH
with the O you get energy from the reaction (the energy you  put into
electrolyzing the water initially less any inefficiencies) and water  (H2O).  From a
practical perspective you would get an explosion or  flame.  That’s what you
saw in the link.  Water in, add a few  kilo-Ergs of energy,  get HH and O.  Burn
the HH and O and you get a  few kilo-ergs and water back out.  There’s no
free energy;  you put  those kilo-ergs in when you electrolyzed the water, and
you got them out (less  inefficiencies) when you burned the water.  No magic.
The HH and O  are just stored chemical energy.  The energy for the flame or the
vehicle  was pumped into the system via electrolysis.

Now, what’s it take to store and use HH and O in a vehicle?  We’re  talking
a gas based system, not a liquid (as in gasoline or diesel), so if  you’ve
modified your engine to work with hydrogen gas, maybe you can bring it  off.  If
you noted the picture if his engine when the hood was raised,  there were a
lot of taped off things - that engine was modified.

If you noted  the “cask” where the fuel for his “flame thrower” was  coming
from, it looked pretty substantial.  A bomb blast container might  look that
way.  Something holding HH and O would look that way because if  they ever
mixed and ignited you’d have a helluva blast.

So yeah, it might work, the reaction has been around for more than 100
years; but it's surely not free.

Now he may have some neat twist to it all, I don’t know.  For example,  maybe
he’s storing the oxygen in some sort of oxygenated compound, or maybe he  has
a way to store the hydrogen in a safe way.  I don’t know.  That  wasn’t
cited in the clip.  But the basic reaction, both ways, is well  known. and the “
gee whiz” hype about using water is not serious.

Now, do you want to pay the electric bill to support all that  electrolysis?
If you do, it might be a winner.  But there’s no “free  energy”, the energy
that's running his car was dumped into the "system" in the  electrolysis
reaction and it's not "free".

GM is supposed to be working on a hydrogen vehicle and I’d always expected
that electrolysis of water would be where the hydrogen would come  from.  If I’
m right, there’s nothing new shown in the clip.  He may  have some unique
things that weren’t shown in clip, dunno.

Ron's got it right, beware.

Dave