[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes 22 Questions

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Sun May 21 23:43:09 EDT 2006

Rummy, Wally, Bill, Bud, Ed, & Jerry,

Thanks for your responses.

Rummy: Thanks for the enlightenment I appreciate it.
- I’ll check  regarding the drain, but I think it’s further forward than the
drain and much  smaller.  Also, there is one on each side.  They could be the
vent  from the water tank on the starboard side  and holding tank on port
side.  They are small and sort of pyramidal.  At first I thought they  were
sidelights, but when I checked them out I concluded they weren’t  lights.  I can
believe vents, thanks.
- I’ll add the  bicycle/ski lock. I gather that’s what Bud uses.  Your
response makes me  think it’s  a prudent thing to  do.
- I checked the  website and see what you mean about covering the forward
stays.  Is that a  commercial product, or did you make it?  It looks to me as if
there are 2  different lengths,  perhaps 1' long and 2' long.  Is there a
recommended diameter?  If you make it I suppose you slit the PVC and slide  it
over the stays, or do you disassemble the turnbuckle? How do you attach the  end
caps so the entire PVC assembly can be removed?  Or do you ever remove  them?
 Perhaps size them so they hang above the turnbuckle and don’t go  entirely
to the deck and they can just rotate as the sheet or sail slides over  them?

Wally: Yes it’s the same hole size in the cabin and cockpit floor and both
holes will take the table post.  The issue is the water.  It doesn’t  appear to
be a problem now, but I thought it might be appropriate  to keep  it dry.
Maybe not.  Bill’s thought was to put some wickable material  down there that
would soak up water.  Maybe it’s not a problem, or maybe  covering it would ac
tually facilitate corrosion, don’t know.  I gather your  boat doesn’t have a
cover or plug, so I don’t feel as though I’m missing a  part.

Do you know what that big nut at the bottom of the hole supports?

- Bike lock/cable is exactly what I was thinking of,  I use the same  thing
as a ski lock.  I hope the lock is strong enough, I’d bet the cable  is.
- After reading Rummy’s post I believe they may be vents.

Bill: I think we’ve got the 170, and it has been hanging in light  air.
Maybe it’s me, probably it’s me.  I’ll try rolling in the  headsail, thanks.
Also, I’ll focus on the headsail through the tack.   As I think of it,  I’ve
been keying on the relationship between the boom  and my head.  My problem is not
getting through the tack, it’s having to  scramble forward to clear the
headsail sheets from a stay/turnbuckle.
- I’ve put cotter rings on the turnbuckles as opposed to ties.  Mox  nix?
- Regarding your absorber material, is that a sponge cut to size?

Bud: Thanks for your suggestion, I’ll follow through with the covers  (unless
I have to disassemble all the turnbuckles to mount them - that could be  a
pain).  They may keep the sail clean and reduce wear, and they’ll likely  look
sharp.

Ed: Do you have a hand drawing that outlines your 3 part system?  I  have
trouble visualizing what you’ve described.  I think I understand the  PVC section
and cap as turnbuckle covers, but I don’t understand how the  plumbing drain
tubes fit in.  The 4' of teflon functions as a cable  cover?  If so, I can
understand the need for a washer at the bottom, but  why at the top?  I may be
envisaging this wrong.  And can you put it  on without disassembling the
turnbuckle?

Jerry:  I see Bill has at least 2 posts re coming about.  I’ll  read them.

Thank you all, I really appreciate your help and advice.

Dave