[Rhodes22-list] Empress of the flies

Ronald Lipton rlipton at earthlink.net
Tue May 30 13:59:09 EDT 2006

We had our annual sail from our storage location in my back
yard in Michigan City, In to Monroe Harbor in Chicago.  It
was a beautiful weekend, winds were predicted to be 10-15
knots, minimal waves, and indeed it started out as a great
sail. But about 2 hours into the trip the wind died and the
flies came.  I have never seen so many.  They absolutely covered
the boat.  We had to wrap ourselves in towels to keep them
from crawing all over us.  And they bite...  We turned the
engine on full - got out anything that we could swing, and spent
the next 5 hours swatting.  Not a great time.  I have been having
fly dreams ever since and have been swatting specks in the
wall and old picture hangers for the last two days (I need to get
my eyes checked too).

Anyway we made it.  The last hour the wind picked up, the flies
lessened, and we had a good sail.  I also have the advantage
of being able to check on my boat anytime day or night with this
website:
http://live6.truelook.com/face/sqface.jsp?func=live&name=/adler/skyeye/camera1&pan=111.44636&tilt=-1.6730492&panfov=39.11518&tiltfov=29.336386&overlay=default&skin=default&useapplet=true&time=1149008343445&width=640&height=480&quality=65&catalogname=catalog&imagemap.x=305&imagemap.y=229&imagemap.w=30&imagemap.h=22

(these settings point you right at the Empress of Blandings).

Ron