[Rhodes22-list] Bill's Bahama Adventure - Day 1 (The Crossing)

William E. Wickman wewickman at duke-energy.com
Sun Oct 1 14:08:42 EDT 2006

Dan,
Crossing the Gulf Stream, we used our motor 100% of the time, the idea
being to get across as quickly as possible.  For the trip overall, I'm sad
to say that we sailed maybe 20% of the time.  It seemed like either the
wind was too light or coming directly from the direction that we wanted to
go, but mostly there were several days that we had to cover a lot of miles
and we decided that we would rather spend more time in an anchorage than
sitting on a boat that was sailing 3 knots.  500 nautical miles is an awful
lot of distance to cover in 11 days.  Too much, really.  Of course, we had
a couple of detours that added to the mileage, but in retrospect I wish we
had not tried to see the entire Berry Islands, or had allocated several
more days for this trip.

I have the Yamaha 9.9 high thrust outboard and was very happy with it.  It
had more than enough power for even the most demanding conditions, it was
very reliable (we never had any problems), and very fuel efficient.  I had
packed a number of spare engine parts, but never needed any of them (except
for the spare prop).

Bill Wickman

             daniel snyder
             <danielsnyder at ade
             lphia.net>                                                 To
             Sent by:                  The Rhodes 22 mail list
             rhodes22-list-bou         <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>
             nces at rhodes22.org                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
             10/01/2006 09:56          Re: [Rhodes22-list] Bill's Bahama
             AM                        Adventure - Day 1 (The Crossing)

             Please respond to
               The Rhodes 22
                 mail list
             <rhodes22-list at rh
                odes22.org>

Bill, what a great trip and job you're doing in telling about it.  Thank
you.  What % of the trip over was under sail only....sounds like you used
your motor quite a bit.  Which motor did you use and how reliable was it on
such an extended trip?  Thanks again for sharing your story with everyone.
Dan NH