[Rhodes22-list] Will the real "Stars and Stripes" please luffed up?

David Culp daculp at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 02:48:58 EDT 2006

Message: 29
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 09:58:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tootle <ekroposki at charter.net>
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Stars and Stripes
To: rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org

Will:

    Is that Rhodes 22 named 'Stars and Stripes'?  Or is it a Bulldog?  Is
somebody misleading poor Bud?

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA

William P. Barry, III wrote:

> Sometimes it's nice having your own stars and stripes there too......See
> attached photo.
>
> Will Barry

http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attch/200610/02/harbortwnbull.jpg

That "Stars and Stripes" yacht sure gets around.  I was told that I was
sailing THE "Stars and Stripes" yacht that actually won the cup in 1987 down
at St. Marteen last year at the 12 Metre Challenge
http://www.12metre.com/yachts_us55_87.htm .  According to their web site,
there were actually 3 "Stars and Stripes" yachts that were built in
preparation for the cup and they said that the one that we sailed was the
one that won.  I would be interested in finding out if the actual 1987 yacht
is in Hilton Head or in St. Marteen or somewhere else.  The Hilton Head web
site sort of skirts the issue in describing their boat as they don't trumpet
the history of it very much, but who knows....  Conners sailed all of them,
I'm sure.

Bud, you may want to call before you go and nail them done on the facts if
it makes any difference to you.  It was still fun anyway, but don't
volunteer to be a main sail grinder-that's way too much work.  Looked to me
like the bartender had the best job!  I ended up as an aft-mast grinder and
that was good because you are in the back with the skipper, can talk with
him/her, observe everything and you're also in the foreground for the $
30 picture.  I even got a chance at the helm while we were sailing back to
the mooring after our race.  Nice boat, nice experience, but I'll keep my
Rhodes.

David Culp