[Rhodes22-list] When is a boat to small?

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Wed Oct 4 16:26:30 EDT 2006

Rummy,

I love these pictures.  I wanted to know if it was genuine so I googled it
and found it to be real
(http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/sharkkayak.asp).  It was part of a
larger story.  The exact excerpt is as follows:

Sitting in a 3.8-metre sea kayak and watching a four-metre great white
approach you is a fairly tense experience. Although we had extensively
tested the sharks' reactions to an empty kayak and had observed no signs of
aggression, this gave us little comfort as we eyed a great white heading
straight for us, albeit slowly. Just a metre or so from the craft it veered
off, circled and slowly approached from behind. It did this several times,
occasionally lifting its head out of the water to get a better look. Then it
lost interest, and as it continued on its way we were able to follow a short
distance behind. Once we'd come to terms with having nothing between
ourselves and a four-metre shark except a thin layer of plastic, our kayak
made an ideal research platform for observing great white behaviour in
shallow water. Its advantages are twofold: it is inconspicuous and appears
not to cause the sharks to alter their behaviour for long, and it allows us
to watch them in a natural situation, as it is not necessary to attract them
to us with food.

Another photo from the sequence appears in a related story:
http://www.whitesharktrust.org/pages/mediaarticle/media26.html

Any way you cut it, I would prefer being on an R22 (or safely on land)
instead.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)