[Rhodes22-list] Good News - Gas Prices Falling

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 04:23:16 EDT 2006

Rummy,

I'm familiar with shale oil from articles in the Oil and Gas Journal
magazine.  Shale oil has the same problems as Canadian tar sands - you need
a lot of energy to extract the energy. The process is basic mining and
cooking. At 30 gal/ton of material, that's a lot of mining.  The western
states have all ready had their fill with the mining industry. The Canadians
are looking at nukes for cooking, which makes sense.  We have plenty of coal
located nearby the shale reserves, but we could just as easily convert it
directly into liquid fuel. The estimated start-up time is around ten years
for a first generation plant and most of the land is government owned.  It
will take an act of Congress, literally, to get it started.

It may very well be the solution for us but first you have to overcome the
NIMBY's, the environmentalists, the funding issues, etc.  As long as there's
"cheap" oil, it won't happen.

If oil slowly creeps up over time, we'll find alternatives.  It's the
spikes, ala 73', that turn the economy upside down.

Brad