[Rhodes22-list] Good News - Gas Prices Falling

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 07:55:44 EDT 2006

Rummy,

The process is called in-situ and is not that different from the process
used in the Illinois Basin and other mature fields.  It basically involves
fracturing downhole and heating the "payzone".  Stripper wells use a process
called "huff-and-puff" involving steam.  Shale pay zones require heating for
years to get the stuff to flow and that requires a lot of energy.  Do I hear
nukes anyone?

How about this for an interesting idea?  Glycerin (soap) is a byproduct of
bio-diesel production.  Let's try injecting glycerin downhole into the
watersweep of injection wells and see if the glycerin aids in residual oil
releasing from the rock formation.  So far I can't get anyone in the
stripper well business to try it - chickens! Most of the onshore oil
production in the US requires artificial lift, ie, pumpjacks, and they use
lots of electricty.  Do I hear nukes anyone?

The problem remains the same, simple physics.  We cannot create or destroy
energy, only convert it to a form that is easily transported.  Here is one
sure-fire solution for the short term - use less of the stuff whenever
possible.

Brad