[Rhodes22-list] Hybrid Cars

William E. Wickman wewickman at duke-energy.com
Tue Oct 10 10:45:48 EDT 2006

Where is everyone's social conscience?  Getting to nearly no emissions and
reducing our dependence on foreign oil.  While one hybrid will not cure
global warming and bring OPEC to its knees, just think about the
possibilities if half the cars in the US were hybrid?  We Americans are
spoiled.  No one wants to pay to clean up the environmental mess that our
capitalistic money grubbing society has created.  We want to have our cake
and eat it too.  If poor native Alaskan's can turn down free oil from
Venezuela, then we all should be able to cough up a few more dollars for
vehicles that burn less fuel and make for a cleaner environment.

Man.....I'm starting to sound like a liberal!!  But I'm not.

Really, I'm not.

Also, did you factor in the Tax Credit?  I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid a
few months ago and was able to haggle the price down to a point that, with
the tax credit, the price was nearly equal to the standard Civic (of
course, I probably could have haggled the price down on the standard model
as well).

Bottom Line is that people that buy hybrids are not driven solely by
economics.

Bill Wickman

             Bill Effros
             <bill at effros.com>
             rhodes22-list-bou         The Rhodes 22 mail list
             nces at rhodes22.org         <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>
                                                                        cc

             10/09/2006 11:31                                      Subject
             PM                        [Rhodes22-list] Hybrid Cars

             Please respond to
               The Rhodes 22
                 mail list
             <rhodes22-list at rh
                odes22.org>

Thanks, Hank,

I did the same math, and came to the same conclusion.  But I have a
special need, and that is why I'm buying the car.  I will be doing a
book tour next Spring, the first of many.  I drive from city to city
because it's so much less a hassle than flying.  My interest in the
Toyota Camry is its range, which is better than 600 miles on a tankful.

When you do the morning news you often have to be at the TV station
before 6:00 am.  If you have driven a couple of hundred miles to get to
the next city late at night, you don't want to have to drive around to
find an open gas station, either late at night or early the next
morning.  I like to sleep as close to the first TV station as possible,
and often they are located in remote places with no nearby gas
stations.  The huge range allows me to drive from one city to the next,
hitting all the local TV stations the next morning before I have to fill
the tank and get to the next town.

This is also the reason for not buying a diesel.  In many places diesel
is just too hard to come by.

The last time I did this I bought a Camry that had a 500 plus mile
range.  I didn't often get to the bottom of the tank, but a few times I
did.  I liked the car--it was comfortable and quiet for repeated long
trips.  The new one is supposed to have the same attributes, and the 600
mile range is the big draw for me.

Bill Effros