[Rhodes22-list] Not So Good Gas Mileage!

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 23:27:15 EDT 2006

Well, despite all the preaching about reducing hydrocarbon consumption, I
did something yesterday afternoon before leaving for Orlando that is
definitely not in line with conservation.  I bought an old Beechcraft
Bonanza.  It moves at 150 knots but only gets about 15MPG, about the same as
the old conversion van I use as ghetto cruiser/pickup-truck/tow vehicle.
The Bonanza should make the Memphis-Gulfport trip in two hours versus the
six and half it now takes driving.  I can fly on the pax airlines for free
provided I don't object to the parking fees, the 30 minute trip from parking
to the terminal, the full body cavity search, the "you're not fat but your
ass won't fit in a Barbie jet seat",  the connection in Atlanta, the
"somebody forgot to show at the gate to park the airplane delay" on arrival,
etc., etc.  And they call it a service industry.  Anyway, the Bonanza should
be fun, if not expensive.

Brad