[Rhodes22-list] Mark more on Planes v Buildings

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 23:50:08 EDT 2006

Rummy,

I haven't followed the coverage on the accident very closely and am not that
familiar with the performance data on the Cirrus.  I'm guessing you are
within 10 knots on the stall speed.  For General Aviation accidents, the
pilot error rate is somewhere around 80% (about 67% for airlines) so
statistically, the odds are they screwed-up.  I did read an article (meaning
nothing of value was really learned) stating they were leaving New Jersey
for California with some stops on the way and then decided to circle the
Statue of Liberty.  The trip up the river may have been a last minute
decision, seldom a wise move unless carefully planned.  My guess is they
made a classic botched "box canyon" maneuver.  Having an experienced
instructor on board isn't always that valuable when you've got rich,
powerful, or celebrity people who own the aircraft and are doing the
flying.  That was an issue in the Thermon Munson accident.  They sometimes
get intimidated by the person they're sitting next to and use judgement far
below their experience level.  I put myself through college flying with
doctors and lawyers that no one else could stand and couldn't get along
with.  It was the perfect challenge for me - you get to demonstrate that you
can be an even bigger asshole than they, collect some dough, and build
flying time.  Whatever happened in NYC, it was a waste of a perfectly good
airplane.

Brad