[Rhodes22-list] evaluating the used boat

Chet Orton chet.orton at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 19 15:32:10 EDT 2006

John,

I've observed that vehicles which are available with either automatic or standard transmission have higher rated towing capacities for the automatic. Since the brakes and engine and such are the same, I've always assumed that the difference was that when starting from a dead stop, a torque converter slips more and acts like a lower gear. But a clutch slips more and just heats up and wears out. So, I'm OK exceeding the manual transmission rating a bit as long as I keep it within the automatic's rating, with the understanding that it will impact my clutch.

Chet