[Rhodes22-list] Clothing for Cool Weather Sailing

anima13 anima13 at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 24 06:30:54 EDT 2006

Mark,
I do not know where you live. I live on KY Lake and we sail all winter.
I liken winter clothing to the "right tool for the job".
I wear silk underwear shirt and leggings. next comes fleece pants and long
sleeve shirt.
Next is an old cashmere (with holes) sweater. It is wool, but a thin layer.
After that is the Mariner jacket from Lands end or LL bean...I cannot
remember.
Don't forget the SmartWool socks! Gloves...I am originally from Minn. so I
have all layers of
gloves. I have a suede pair with fleece inside lining that I like
particularly.
These will fall apart after lots of line handling...but I have gotten my
good wear out of them.
We race in Novemeber at Nashville and you have to go out no matter the
weather.
I wore the above-described on the day of the big broach (over 7 minutes).
Water was rushing over my legs
up to my thighs as I clung to the lower lifeline at the bow. The socks and
fleece dried quickly
enough that I did not get the shakes. We finished the race.
I have frogtog jacket that sometimes substitutes when it is too hot and 60
or over.
We will go out if it is 45 or above. We limit our sailing time from 1030am
to in the slip by 3:30.
Sun goes down fast after that!
We always took the Rhodes in the winter...there was never a question among
everyone about that.
The convenience of Inmast and Roller made it all the faster to the heated
seats in the car!
One friend said it was like going sledding and coming home to the fireplace!
I am bad...I do foredeck and do not wear a life jacket.I never felt a need
for one in the sturdy
Rhodes rock of a boat, for sure. I do believe it is an excellent practice.
Anne