[Rhodes22-list] grammar

Bob Fletcher tfl4625 at blackfoot.net
Thu Oct 26 20:58:59 EDT 2006

elle,

While you are on the subject... what do you think of the common practice,
even among folks (like NPR commentators) who should know better, of
"singularizing" contractions involving "are."  I'm thinking about phrases
like, " There's three ducks on the pond." You wouldn't say, "There is three
ducks on the pond."  Think also, "There's too many people at this party."
So why is "there's" so commonly used where the contraction "there're" would
be appropriate if you want to shorten the phrase?

(Think of this as a diversion from the recent political spats on the site.)

Bob Fletcher