[Rhodes22-list] How to reduce your apparent stupidity(macintoshonly)

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sat Oct 28 12:59:55 EDT 2006

Philip,

We went through this while you were off list.  My partner bought Apple
II serial number 1935.  Floppy drives were $500 extra.  You loaded the
machine operating system and programs with cassette tapes, from cassette
players with audio outputs (cassette players not provided.)  I believe
they came with 8K of memory, and there was jubilation around the office
when we upgraded (at great expense) to 16K.

The original PCs also were available without floppy drives.  I still
have an original PC-DOS on a cassette tape.  We bought IBMs stripped
down, and added memory, drives, etc. and sold them for 1/2 what IBM was
selling them for--and double what all the parts cost us.  This was
illegal, and IBM sent the Feds after everyone doing this.  (By Federal
Law PCs had to be licensed by the FCC to ensure their radiation was
within proscribed limits.)

Most of us just tried to keep our heads down, but many were driven out
of business.

Michael Dell was doing this in Texas at the same time we were doing it
in NY and California.  He hired lawyers, stalled, and repeatedly broke
the law.  It turned out well for him.

Bill Effros