[Rhodes22-list] Grammar

L. Sailor watermusic38 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 28 12:16:42 EDT 2006

Philip,

  'On' is a preposition & therefore is used to connote a relationship as is 'for.' The 'on' usage is more colloquial rather than the formal English 'for'. Speaking colloquially, using 'on' one would understand that the item  (or person) is not yet in the area. Using 'on' formally would imply that the speaker and the item or person  would be in such close proximity that one is physically superior to the other and either sitting or standing 'on' the person or item.

  (Who wrote that gibberish...???)

  See what you made me do?  AARGH.

  elle

  Philip <3drecon at comcast.net> wrote:
  Elle,
Perhaps they are waiting "on" someone's schedule or activity rather than
for the Individual. Would that be correct?

Philip