Opening ports (was RE: [Rhodes22-list] New Guy Bill D.)

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at comcast.net
Sun Oct 29 11:02:35 EST 2006

I have opening ports in the cabin front.  When it rains, they hold water
(some even with the canvas snap-on covers).  If you don't swab them out
before opening, they can empty into the cabin (on the v-berth).  Looks to me
like the reason they hold water is the little drain slots aren't steep
enough for the slope of the cabin front.  Mine don't leak with them dogged
shut.

Having said that, I value the ventilation they provide.  I have no top
hatches on my boat.  I sail in New England so may need less ventilation than
some.

I have no experience with the side opening ports, but since the cabin sides
are more vertical, it seems to me that they would drain better there than on
the front.

Jim Connolly
s/v Inisheer
'85 recycled '03