[Rhodes22-list] Politics - Camel Nose Logic

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Sun Oct 29 20:43:43 EST 2006

So Dave, your position is that those that hold a professional license are precluded from using their own personal choice on who they do business with? That's a scary proposition.

BTW, it's not "discrimination" (in the legal sense of the word) for someone to say "I'm not going to serve you because I don't like you". Unless, the reason they're "not liked" is because of race, religion, creed, physical disability, or sex. Other than that, discrimination is allowed, as it should be.

Don't like the policies of a pharmacy, don't shop there. If the pharmacy doesn't like the actions of a given pharmacist, fire them (which, I believe, should be allowed).

>>> DCLewis1 at aol.com 10/29/2006 7:42:30 pm >>>

Philip,

Seems to me that if they don't want to do it you shouldn't lean on the
doctors you've met with.  Their position that they don't want to do it can  mean
either they don't want to do it, or that they think they'll screw it  up.  You
should not discount the latter possibility.

You live in the Baltimore/Washington metropolitan area, you've got a
tremendous number of choices and access to world class expertise.  Also,  you've got
the military medical system which is significant.  You've got a  lot of
options, I recommend you use 'em.  Your wife is lucky, if she were  living in a
small town 200 miles from nowhere with 1 part time doctor, and it  had to be done
quickly, the doctor might have to do his/her best.  It's a  judgement call.

But it's one thing, and in the very best medical tradition, for a physician
to refuse to do a procedure if they think they are not competent to perform
the  procedure or if they believe the patient would be at undue  medical risk,
etc - it means the physician knows their limits of  competence, or your
probable prognosis,  and they are providing a service  by saying no.  It's quite
another thing when the physician says "I had  a vision, you need or deserve this
affliction so I'm not going to help  you".   From my perspective, the latter
case is unacceptable.  If  your wife were the lady living 200 miles from nowhere
and you suffered harm from  that decision, I think she should have legal
recourse.

Dave