[Rhodes22-list] Head Flushing

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Mon Oct 30 08:53:43 EST 2006

Philip,

Tap Water -- Even though my through-hole external water feed works
properly, and it's a convenience to flush with all the water readily
available just outside my boat, I carry tap water on board, and use that
to flush the bowl.  My tap water is lightly chlorinated, so I'm not
putting any living organisms into the system.  The death of these things
inside your tanks creates a lot of the odor.  We have lots of stuff
growing in our waters.  I'm in Greenwich Cove--Town moorings.

I learned to do this during my Porto Potty days, when I elected to use
fresh water rather than plumb-in my through-hole line.

Currently I fill water bottles and leave them in the head to fill the
bowl, then pump everything out into my holding tank.  I don't use the
formaldehyde based thing-killers, but use "Odorlos" instead.  (This
works best if you never use anything else in the tank--the other things
can kill the active ingredients of Odorlos.)

Head odors don't happen on my boat.  (In part because we are talking
mainly about No. 1.)

I am seriously considering plumbing my intake line into my fresh water
holding tank.  I know this is a no-no, but no one drinks that water, and
the convenience is seductive.  You might speak to Stan about this idea.
One less below-waterline through-hole.

Stan has built fresh water head holding tanks into the boat, but all of
the extra water changes the weight and balance of the boat.  Something
to thing about and play with.

Bill Effros