[Rhodes22-list] Ft. Belvoir Marina - To Hank

3drecon at comcast.net 3drecon at comcast.net
Tue Sep 12 15:02:31 EDT 2006

Belvoir could be a nice Marina.  Depending upon who you talk to the problems range from Cronyism to Apathy.  Apparently after hurricane Ivan came through and destroyed some of the buildings, docks and contributed to the silting of Dogue Creek, the Morale Welfare & Recreation (MWR) office held onto the insurance money and still hasn't started rebuilding.  Money was allocated in 2004 or 2005 for dredging the creek.  Right now tides go as low as 11/2 inches in places.  If you have limited sailing time, you have to work with the tides and that can cramp your weekend.  I have to be back at APG early on Monday, so I can't wait until 2200 Sunday for a good tide (I'm usually asleep by 2100 Sunday).  The dredging was delayed due to environmental complaints so $50,000.00 was allocated for a study.  The study was conducted and passed for dredging and is still good for another year or two, but by now, the money has been held up.  Some say for the war, some say it was a political feud between g
enerals, retired generals or both; who knows.  Everyone says the money is still there.  Why no one has contacted Congressman Davis is beyond me.  They have a "Yacht Club", but no one is doing anything.  Davis was able to get the Occoquan dredged.  Construction, the recent rains and neglect has exacerbated the problems there.  The recent rains and flooding destroyed one of the docks and, though there are fewer boats in the water there, they had to let some of those from the broken docks move to those still intact.

Quantico is right on the Potomac River and always in deep water, about 25 miles south of Ft. Belvoir.  The prices are about the same and with a slip, I can just go in and out anytime I want with little delay.  Right now Ft. Belvoir is a major operation.

Philip

From: Hank <hnw555 at gmail.com>