[Rhodes22-list] rigging

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Thu Apr 5 14:50:25 EDT 2007

Ok. Maybe this will help. The main doesn't really get secured to the
boom in the usual sense. On the sail itself is a shackle which holds
a small block such as these: http://images.westmarine.com/full/127712.jpg

There is also a slider that runs in the slot on the boom. It has a
block too.  You can see that on Rummy's pictures #90 and #75 and sort
of in the picture that I attached to this message.

The outhaul runs from an attachment point at the end of the boom,
throught the block on the slider, then through the block on the main,
back down to the block on the slider and then is cleated. At least I
think this is right. I haven't really looked at it since October.

When the main is completely furled, the sail is secured by the
tension between the furling line which is tied off and the outhaul
which is cleated. When the sail is completely deployed, the furling
line is completely extended and the outhaul contects the clew of the
main to the boom. Where you set the outhaul slider will depend on
your point of sail. All the way back will flatten the sail for upwind
work. If you ease it forward, you can put more belly in the sail for
downwind work.

Clear as mud?

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless