[Rhodes22-list] What's up with my mast?

bobmellor rhmello at aol.com
Thu Apr 5 22:51:10 EDT 2007

John

I have not been able to see the pics on the page with all of the rigging
pics, so these may already be there... but...
if it helps, my '80, (which i "assume" might be as yours once was... but
then again....) has one widened slot area as an entry point, and round
notches indented in the slot to hold the pin in the pop top slide in
position(s).

The mast is hanging in my garage ceiling at the moment, but attached are
pics I could get of of the widened slot (including grass from my back yard),
one of the notched holes, the boom end slider (rotates), and the pop top
slider.  (the knob in that pop top slider pic is on a pin that slips into
the notched holes)

I've only had it together once so far, but if i remember right, thats all
there is to a "normal" mast.   Yours certainly looks unique.
http://www.nabble.com/file/7695/notch.JPG
http://www.nabble.com/file/7696/boom%20slide.JPG
http://www.nabble.com/file/7697/pop%20top%20slide.JPG
http://www.nabble.com/file/7698/slot.JPG

Thanks for that info, Slim (and the jiffy reefing links).  No, I have
no reef points in the sail.  For this year I will be rolling it on
the boom <ugh> to reduce sail area.  I understand what you're saying
about lowering the center of effort.  That's something I'll have to
ponder on to figure out a solution.

If I can design something to insert into the track to attach the boom
and catch the poptop bracket, I'd be able to lower the boom when the
poptop is down.  Not sure what that would look like yet, but I'll let
it sit in the back of my mind and percolate.

Cheers!
John Lock