[Rhodes22-list] Captain Haslett

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 11:26:38 EDT 2007

Ed,

During my last two and a half years of college I paid my way by flying
charter.  The Democratic party was about the only political party in
Arkansas at the time, and I eventually got to fly just about everyone who
was anyone in Arkansas politics .  Senator Dale Bumpers was my favorite and
me his. Wilbur Mills and I developed a bond as well but he was already out
of power by then. I've eaten a gazillion free chicken dinners courtesy of
the Democrats. A client of mine made his airplane available to the
Republican party and I did some volunteer work for them.  Given that I
needed to eat, the Dems would win out in a scheduling conflict.    I learned
early on that I don't have the patience for the day-to-day humdrum of grass
roots politics and don't like being tied down to one party. I was mostly
disgusted by the Clinton's (er, Clinton and Ms. Rodham) Arkansas years and
thought the national media would have him for lunch when he went big time.
Did I ever mis-guess that one!  He became their darling. Yes, I vote, even
in most of the local elections. I sent a significant amount of  money in the
04' election to the Swift Boat Veterans because they were sincere and
passionately believed what they were doing was apolitical - their message
needed to be heard.  I'll send a donation to Fred Thompson encouraging him
to run.  That doesn't mean I'll necessarily vote for him, he just needs to
run to open up the field.  I can't stand John McCain and know very little
about Romney.  Rudy and Newt won't make it in the long run.  If Hillary
keeps her pace, I may have to throw some money at Obama as counterweight to
the great evil. I did send a donation to Alan Keyes to oppose Obama because
I like Keyes, and Obama needed some opposition.  He truly is an unknown
lightweight with little experience. I'd love to see Richardson get some
traction but that isn't happening.  There isn't a soul in the race right now
that I'm particularly excited about but it's still early.  How's that for a
non-commitment?

Brad