[Rhodes22-list] KY Lake Sailors

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 17:57:55 EDT 2007

Joe,

Ah, but if only retirement day was tomorrow.  I've been studying and
planning the Great Loop for a long time.  My marina is about three miles
from the turn South off the Tennessee to the Tom-Bigbee, "The Ditch", for
the Gulf of Mexico.  You can also use the Mississippi but the Tenn-Tom route
is much better and less hectic.  It doesn't matter where you start but in a
sailboat you'll have to de-mast in a couple of places.  There are many
options, such as, you can take the St. Lawrence Seaway to the Atlantic, or
the Eire Canal to the Hudson, or the canal to Lake Champlain to the Hudson,
the Intercoastal, the Atlantic, the circle around the Florida Keys or the
canal (forget its name) across Florida, etc.  I've met folks at the home
marina who were on their second loop. When you go through Chicago you have
to de-mast and again on the Erie Canal.  I plan to do it on a small
trawler.  For a good read on a trip from NYC to the West Coast, all on
rivers but for a few small sections,  read "River Horse" by William Least
Heat Moon.  I have a book on the Great Loop in my library written in the
late forties.  I don't know if anything has been written lately or not.
There is a website on "The Loop" somewhere.  I haven't looked at in quite a
while.  Good luck and have fun planning!

Brad