[Rhodes22-list] Magnetic or True? By a famous nautical author... Other th...

Rory Orkin roryorkin at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 10 07:52:51 EDT 2007

That is pretty much what I was trying to say in the previous go around on
this.. When you use a pure gps not a chart plotter , the gps only givs lat &
Lon and a heading.. That is where the magnetic vs true comes into play.
You are only using the gps for a fix. The compass is used to steer a
course.. With the charting gps you have a visual reference, not unlike using
a fixed point on land to steer to. The compass reading is relative to that
point and will adjust it self .
    Dont forget drift and current are going to all come into play here. A
compass heading has to account for all of that also. The charting gps infers
all that as well by again pointing you to a fixed waypoint..
             I have had the full evolution of navigation starting in about
1964. I sometimes miss the chart and divider days of the paper chart. It
added a certain level of skill and situational awareness to sailing that is
perhaps missing with the chartplotters. But time moves on. I actually have
gone to an automatic transmission on my car as well. :-)