[Rhodes22-list] Pandion's First Sail!

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Tue Apr 10 10:21:56 EDT 2007

At 08:00 AM 4/10/2007 -0400, TN Rhodey wrote:
>Your leach line will not really help flatten. Relax line all the way. If the
>leach starts flapping (you will know!) tighten line until it stips...no
>more.  If I remember your set up your boom attachment is fixed. Normally you
>would have a downhaul that would help flatten sail by lowering boom. Do you
>have a cunningham control? No boom vang to help here either. Also I don't
>remember if you had a traveler, proper traveler adjustment would help. If
>you don't have boom vang, downhaul, cunningham, or traveler there may not be
>much you can do.

No cunningham, but there is a traveler between the split
backstay.  I'm gradually coming to the conclusion that's all I can do
on this rig.  Still investigating the possibility of retro-fitting a
sliding gooseneck and then adding a downhaul.

>Sometimes these terms get mixed up.....cam cleat do hold better. Is this for
>jib sheets? The jib cleats on my R22 work best with right size jib sheets.
>With a turn or two on winch my clam cleat always hold. I like the fact that
>they can be released easily. You may want to confirm you have right size
>sheet.

The furling line is 1/4", the jib sheets are 3/8".  Don't know what
the "right" size is, but I can see how a slightly smaller diameter
line might fit down into the clam jaws for firmly.  Maybe 5/16" for
jib sheets and 3/16" for the furling line?

>First make sure they are in ALL the way...if there is a bunch of slop the
>battens are the wrong size (too small). Make sure anh flaps around opening
>are back in place.....sometimes they don't close up just right. If they are
>the right size and still fall out some use velcro or just sew them iin
>place.

Apparently this was a problem in the past because none of the battens
matched!  Some were fiberglass, with nice vinyl end caps.  Some were
wood strips with black duct tape wound up as end caps.  I've ordered
some batten material and end caps and will make a whole new set,
sized correctly for each pocket (they don't appear to be all the same
length).  Velcro sounds like a good solution, since there don't seem
to be any flaps or other closure mechanism.

Thanks for the additional info, will post photos of the results.

Cheers!

John Lock