[Rhodes22-list] Magnetic or True? By a famous nautical author... Other th...

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Tue Apr 10 22:56:25 EDT 2007

Bill,

Sorry, I don't know anything about the Garmin 398.  I took a quick  look @ it
on westmarine and the combination GPS and depth finder looks pretty
attractive.  One possible caution, it's got a 5" diagonal display - if  you mounted it
on the bulkhead (or wherever you intend to mount it) could  you see the
display well enough and manipulate the controls from your  steering station in the
cockpit?   You might paste up a 5" cut  out on your bulkhead and assess how
well you see it and whether you could  reach the controls.   I think hand held
chart plotter displays are  about 2 3/4" diag, and they're read from arms
length or closer so  seeing and dealing with the controls is not an issue - but
clearly there's  no depth finder built into a hand held as there is with the
Garmin 398.  If  you get a 398, I'll be interested in your assessment.

Dave