[Rhodes22-list] Don Imus

elle watermusic38 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 13 12:03:03 EDT 2007

Waslly

You said:
"For sure there is a double standard.  I will never
understand why
Sharpton and his followers are ok with the hate spewed
by rappers."

Numbers. Sharpton & Jesse  et al couldn't care less
what the rappers are spewing; he (& his cronies) have
that crew & followers supporting them by their NOT
criticizing their invective. Can you imagine what
would happen if the rappers  & MTV etc were to come
out against Sharpton etc? Sharpton would lose any
standing in that sphere.  How better to keep stirring
the pot of racial disharmony than to use thugs who can
do it with just a lyric & a beat? (One would have
thought he's be dead in the water after the Tawanna
whatever incident several years back in upstate NY. )

Woouldn't it be great to see a pitch  to the younger
generation between Oprah & Jesse's crew? Why isn't she
coming out against the rap garbage etc.....She is
about the only one who could yield the influence of
the others....

After all, if we all coould just get along there would
be no photo ops for Sharpton et al anymore to proclaim
how oppressed they are.

FYI..I agree with Wally that it is difficult to
discuss this with out perhaps sounding prejudiced. I
have been called many things in my lifetime, but
prejudiced was never one of them. (Dago, Wop, Shorty
were some of the more endearing terms.. .;^)(Of
course, there are those who send me toilets....;^)

They all need to GET OVER IT.  Sharpton et al just
neded a photo op.

elle

--- TN Rhodey <tnrhodey at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Guys,
>
> For sure there is a double standard.  I will never
> understand why Sharpton
> and his followers are ok with the hate spewed by
> rappers. I also don't
> understand why more woman of color are not speaking
> out against rap lyrics.
>
> The network saw that the dust wasn't going to settle
> quickly. They pretty
> much had to fire Imus. Imus made a hateful racist
> remark about a group of
> successful student athletes. This is not a good
> "target". If he had said
> something equally negative about the Iranian Women's
> Weight Lifting Team
> Sharpton and Jesse would not have cared. Shock jocks
> walk a fine line based
> on how much money they bring in verses potential
> loss of revenue. I was kind
> of surprised he wasn't fired the same day....I guess
> it took longer to
> crunch the numbers.
>
> I can think of people (white ones of course) who
> have been fired in the past
> for public racist remarks...think Jimmy the Greek
> and Al Campanaris (sp?) of
> the Dogers. Thecomments were quite tame compared to
> "nappy headed ho" and
> todays rap lyrics. It is hard to make written
> comments regarding this
> subject without one sounding racist....so please
> note I am not agreeing with
> comments made by the "Greek",  or "Campy" I am just
> mentioning them for
> reference.
>
> Wally
>

> >From: Rik Sandberg <sanderico at earthlink.net>
> >To: The Rhodes 22 mail list
> <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>
> >Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Don Imus
> >Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 05:38:37 -0500
> >
> >Slim,
> >
> >Ya just gotta laugh ......
> >
> >Seems like we should have been seeing picket lines
> outside of all the
> >rappers offices for a while now, if they're going
> to make such a stink
> >about this. Don't recall any of them being even
> much noticed let alone
> >fired. But wait ..... could there be a (gasp)
> double standard here???
> >
> >People been calling me a dumb Swede for years.
> Maybe I am ..... just too
> >dumb to care???
> >
> >I expect Imus will be able to thank all these fools
> for the free
> >publicity later ..... after his book comes out.
> >
> >Rik
> >
> >Slim wrote:
> > > What's the deal here?  Don Imus is a shock jock
> and he's hired to be
> > > shocking and now has been fired for being...
> um... shocking.  He
> >referred to
> > > the Rutgers women's basketball team as
> "nappy-headed hos" which is
> >certainly
> > > racist and offensive to be sure, and I'm in no
> way defending that
> >rhetoric,
> [...]

 1992 Rhodes 22   Recyc '06  "Water Music"   (Lady in Red)