[Rhodes22-list] On Don Imus

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Sun Apr 15 00:46:14 EDT 2007

Brad,

Actually you realized part of the point I was trying to make - yeah, he
missed the early part of the civil rights movement.  Take it a little  further: he
also missed the middle parts of the civil rights movement, and he's  missed
any recent parts of the civil rights movement.  To summarize:  he hasn't played
a leadership role in the civil rights movement at all,  ever.

That's not to say he's a bad guy, rather it's to say that he's not speaking
for anyone but himself and his views are agreeable to the publisher of his
newspaper.  And I think that's a pretty fair statement.

I really don't know the guy at all, but I have read maybe 3 of his  columns.
Seems to me he's hard over against Sharpton and Jackson at all  costs.  I'm
sure he has his reason, he may even be right.  But as I  read his column
regarding Imus and Sharpton it sure looked like he was being  more that a little
disingenuous, and I would bet he lost a lot of credibility  with the black
community.  His approach, as I recall, was to say that the  Imus matter wasn't an
issue, the issue was rap language etc.  Now there is  no question that rap
language etc are issues, but the timely matter at issue was  Imus, and I don't
think there's a black family out there that doesn't understand  that, so I think
the guys credibility is probably zip in the black  community.  In the white
community his column is being floated as  "proof" that Imus is not an issue, that
the real issue is something else (you  pick the topic, it'll change as it's
discredited).

I don't know if the guy intended to write a column that said " the Imus  deal
is OK, blacks shouldn't be upset", I really doubt that he would do that or
that it was his intent,  but his column has been used that way and so he  has
been party to that effort.  If his column has been mis-used he owes it  to the
black community, and himself, to set the record straight.

As to what charities he supports, that's got nothing to do with the content
of his columns.

He may or may not have a point regarding Sharpton or Jackson, but when he
tries to divert attention from the denigration of a bunch of black  youth and
their families he does the black community a disservice.  I'd bet  his newspaper
publisher thinks the world of  him.