[Rhodes22-list] More boat tinkering (was: Lift range of 7:1 outboard mount)

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Sun Apr 15 11:38:01 EDT 2007

At 08:41 PM 4/14/2007 -0400, Arthur H. Czerwonky wrote:
>John,
>Think of it this way - most folks have difficulty finding a good
>motor for 1 big one.  You got that plus an awesome boat and a
>galvenized trailer, and a boatload of kooky friends and colleagues
>for the same amount...

Indeed, it was the bargain of the century and I'm not
complaining.  Just can't resist the urge to tinker and improve :-)

Already had the battery out and put some order into the wire nest in
the battery box.  Considering whether there is room for a second
Group 24 in there.

Took out the 12v fridge to install an on/off switch.  It makes a
significant buzz when running (already took that apart).  So, I
needed a convenient way to turn it off when desired (like when
sleeping).  May end up using it like a cooler instead... but it is
nice to have cold ones at the dock without ice!

I added a 4-plug receptacle for 12v power in the galley.  Don't have
anything to plug in there yet, but I know a coffee maker is high on
the list.  And, temporarily, the GPS plugs in there.

I installed mounts for my handheld GPS and an old Humminbird fish
finder on the starboard bulkhead.  The Humminbird helped me thru a
narrow channel on Friday evening.  The transducer is still hanging
off a length of PVC strapped to the boarding ladder for testing
(thanks Mary Lou!)  May or may not get around to making something
more permanent.

FYI - the spreader lights DO work, contrary to my previous
posting.  I think something was loose or disconnected in the battery
box.  After straightening all that out, they worked fine.

The main halyard block, at the base of the mast, has expired.  The
plastic sheaves disintegrated from age and UV exposure.  A new one is
on order and should make raising the main easier.  Likewise, the clam
cleat for the jib furler.  It had very few "teeth" left.  That's why
it popped out on me the other day.  The plastic ridges were worn
smooth from use.

Installed a tiller lock for the hiking stick, so I can let go of the
tiller briefly to tend to other items.  It's just a socket that sets
into the coaming and captures the ball-end of the hiking stick to
hold the tiller in place.  I think I'll like that better than the
"tiller tamer" type, which have lines running across the cockpit to
either side.

Now I'm considering whether to convert my single backstay, with its
Y-split end, to full twin backstays.  Currently, the traveler sits
pretty low in the cockpit,  about the same height as the stern
rail.  It always seems to be in the way when I have to do anything
with the motor or rudder.  Also, I can't lift the tiller up out of
the way.  It's trapped between the traveler and backstays, which is
annoying when I set up the table in the cockpit.

Oh yeah, and I'm still considering replacement of the motor mount and
re-installing the original front ports or something to aid
ventilation.  I'm liking the idea of a Nicor solar fan mounted on the
cabin top.  Wondering how good their rain exclusion is...

Whew!

John Lock