[Rhodes22-list] parts /request advice on drain removal

bobmellor rhmello at aol.com
Sun Apr 15 18:22:31 EDT 2007

Lou

I have an '80, ...  I got my drain out but it wasn't easy...

first, is it free from the tube?  the heads of my straps were totally
corroded, i had to use a dremel to cut the staps free.

Once free from the tube, there was a ton of sealant and gunk on the threads
so the nut inside the laz wouldn't turn at all....  I cleaned the threads
off as much as i could by scraping with a screwdriver blade, brass wire
brush, etc until i could finally turn the nut.  With the the nut loosened I
was able to pry the drain loose.

I found liquidnails adhesive and caulk remover good at softening what was on
the drain body and threads, Also cleaning up old port sealant and whatever
was used to caulk my centerboard cap.... did not seemed to harm anything,
but I'd be carefull about letting it contact the gelcoat too long and make
sure to rinse it off well.

Just yesterday i was buying some marine ply, and while there found something
different.....  I'm going to try out shortly.......... called "de-solve-it
contractors solvent".  Supposed to be safe for fiberglass and soften a host
of stuff including silicone sealant.  Don't know if anyone on the list has
tried it.

http://www.dtep.com/de-solve-it.htm

However you attempt...Have fun....

PS... does anyone know where to get replacement tubing that big and thick?
Would that be a stan item?

Bob M