[Rhodes22-list] Lift range of 7:1 outboard mount now wet sail question

KUHN, LELAND LKUHN at cnmc.org
Sun Apr 15 21:11:32 EDT 2007

John,

I have the 7:1 motorlift and the long-shaft Mercury 9.9.  It's a 2003 and someone told me it is actually made by Yamaha.  Don't know how long the long shaft is.  If no one is on the boat, the prop is barely out of the water, which means it frequently drags in the water when sailing.

I've been bad-mouthing my Merc outboard on this list, but ever since I had the thermostat replaced, it's been performing great.  But then, I've only been out about a dozen times this year.

Had a great sail yesterday.  Took a short cut between a peninsula and an island and had a homeowner yell a warning to me that I was in two foot of water.  I yelled a thank you back to him and continued on.  What a great boat.  At the beginning of the day I could hardly feel any wind at all.  My GPS said I was moving about 0.5 to 0.6 knots.  I pulled my anenometer out and the apparent wind was one knot.  I can't remember how to convert apparent wind to true wind, but that's not a heck of a lot of wind.  Didn't see any other boats with their sails out.  I wouldn't exactly call it sailing, but I was shocked I was moving at all.  Again, what a great boat.  Most of the day the winds were about five to eight knots and the slight directional changes were always in my favor.  Towards the end of the day it started raining on me.  I was dressed for it so I just kept sailing.

Question:  How long should you keep wet sails furled?  Based on the weather forecast, I may not get out again for at least a week.  Will the sails mildew quickly?

Thanks!

Lee
1986 Rhodes 22  At Ease
Crab Alley (Kent Island, MD)