[Rhodes22-list] Don Imus

Todd Tavares sprocket80 at mail.com
Mon Apr 16 19:39:51 EDT 2007

 Dave,

No one changed the spotlight from Imus to Sharpton and Jackson, they did
that themselves.   I am not trying to change the subject any more than
you by changing the focus to what shock jocks say and get away with.
This is not about shock jocks in general.  This has less to do with FCC
rules and everything to do with political correctness. It is about how a
white man made a disgusting and vile comment about a team of mostly black
athletes.  It's a racial issue. PERIOD!  It's all about victims and
victimization. You don't see white "reverends" complaining in the media
on behalf of  the couple of white girls on the squad do you? The kind of
grandstanding that Sharpton does perpetuates that role as a victim. They
(Sharpton and Jackson) gave these women no options; no voice of their
own. These women did not deserve what Imus said, but also it shouldn't
have affected them that much either.  I'll say it again; They cause the
controversy, then jump in to stand up for the victimized  Black folks.
That is why they have more support in the (vocal) Black community than
someone like Whitlock or Bill Cosby.

As for Imus, the focus of this argument, he has to follow rules enforced
by the FCC.  Calling a group of women basketball players names is
offensive, degrading, and morally unacceptable.  If it violated the FCC
rules, then they should take what ever action is at their
disposal......fines..... taking away the radio station's
license....whatever!  But there is still a First Amendment and you still
have a knob on your radio.  Howard Stern and others are offensive without
a doubt, but they bring in tons of money for their stations, regardless
of what sewage pours out of their mouths, and their listeners love them
anyway.  When they cross the line, the free market (within FCC
guidelines) should prompt the action. Remember Doug Tract?  If sponsors
started cancelling and/or ratings dropped, MSNBC would have taken
necessary actions to protect their bottom line.  But it is not, and
should not be, up to people like Sharpton to stick his nose in it and
make it national scandal.  Like I said "If a tree falls in the woods,
does it make a sound?"

Todd T.