[Rhodes22-list] diesel cars

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 08:35:00 EDT 2007

Rummy,

My personal pickup truck is a 95' Dodge 1500 that I purchased about six
months ago to haul auto-fuel to the Bonanza with. I love it! We just put our
Ford one-ton 7.3L diesel on the market in Gulfport.  I'll never buy another
Ford diesel.  Our 'new' dumptruck is a Ford F-700 but it has a GM Detroit
diesel engine.  The trackhoe and dozer both have Cummins engines.  As far as
I'm concerned, the Dodge pickup with the 5.9 Cummins diesel is the benchmark
for small trucks and is what we'll buy when we're rich and famous.

As you know, I'm not a big fan of corn based ethanol.  It burns great but
doesn't add much to the energy shortage problem.  Bio-diesel is a different
story. I'm buying some alcohol test strips, the same thing you test for
sobriety with, to check the fuel for my airplane.  Ethanol eats away at the
fuel lines and seals and its different vapor pressure is a hazard at
altitude.  If we start producing ethanol from switchgrass or sugar
beets/cane, the engery gain from the process will make ethanol a useful
player.  Until then, it is a 'feel good' fuel only.

Brad