[Rhodes22-list] Elle's continuing saga...

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Fri Apr 20 08:05:57 EDT 2007

Elle:

You need to learn how to ask questions that can be answered with ‘yes or
no’.

You asked, “Does anyone have the Tohatsu w/ the device that connects to the
rudder??”  There are many of us who have Tohatsu outboards.  Most have the 8
h.p., but a few have 6’s and 9.9’s.  Stan abhorred the two cycle motors and
therefore I am not aware of any having his connecting contraption.  However,
the fundamentals of design should be interchangeable.  Commodore Spitzer
should be able to handle this issue.

Elle said, “forgot to mark them before we went out tonite…”  In maritime
language, that is called knots.

And, “To have enough slack to let it drop on the extreme lows yet keep it
off the dock on the high has been tricky.”  They make commercial devices to
solve this problem besides the lift already mentioned by Bud.

I do not recall if you own or rent this dock.  If renting, then the lift is
out.  If renting you still might want to consider the tidal variation
compensating devices.

 You said, “No...lower unit & prop of engine are in the way of crossing on
port side & ladder on the stbd side…”  Is chafing your issue?  Then as I
said previously, add rubber or plastic hose over that part of the line that
might chafe.  Use knots to keep that hose in place.  Too add to Leland’s
remarks about hooks, they now make high tensile plastic hooks that would
also work.  Too add to Art’s comments, use bungee cords to keep lines up to
a level that you are comfortable with.  You are aware that bungee cords
stretch?

As to your comments about the retired guy with eye problems, it sounds like
he has good eyes and has his eye on the appropriate things… And even has
found a way to get things close enough to see.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
Addendum:  “flam - a convex shape in the topsides as they rise toward the
sheer. The compliment of flare.”