[Rhodes22-list] How to handle gusty winds?

W Buck tnrhodey at mail.com
Sun Apr 22 08:40:32 EDT 2007

John, Yeah 0 - 20 can be tricky.....I would go with the main partiall
reefed and fly full genny in lulls.. You should be able to see a gust
coming before it hits. Use this time to get ready....start heading up
into the wind and luff  genny a little before gust hits. Also be ready to
make rapid adjustments to main and traveller. In these conditions I would
have both handy. If you are not trying to point up wind I would raise
the  CB some increasing lee way while reducing heeling. Also make sure
that all crew and guests no how to brace themselves when gusts hit. If
you are not on rail sit on cockpit bench with your feet braced on the
opposite seat. This will keep crew from being tossed. I would also make
sure that everything was stowed in cabin and cockpit. If you are really
concerned go ahead and put companionway hatch in just in case you take on
a bunch of water. Hang on and have fun! Wally