[Rhodes22-list] How to Handle Gusty Winds

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Sun Apr 22 10:42:25 EDT 2007

Thanks David (and also Wally) for your very helpful posts.  Your
observations are right on the mark.  I probably should have started
out with the main reefed in a little.  Specially considering that I
have a taller (non-GB) mast and carry more sail than the original
design.  Both my wife and I have learned a lot in our few outings so
far.  Yes, things have to be secured better.  Bracing to the opposite
seat is a good thing for everybody.  I have realized that a beer
bottle in a foam cooler is not to be trusted, it will go
wandering.  Got some heavy pewter mugs now, they just slide and
retain their contents :-)

Even though my wife goes with me on most trips, I am, for all intents
and purposes, still single-handing.  She doesn't want to fool with
all those ropes and no way she's going to be in charge of the
tiller!  Adding the tiller lock was a godsend because I can at least
leave the tiller unattended for a little while.

I didn't understand one comment Wally made - "I would raise the CB
some increasing lee way while reducing heeling."  I was figuring just
the opposite, with the CB all the way down it has more leverage to
balance the topside.  How does raising the CB reduce heeling?

Cheers!

John Lock