[Rhodes22-list] reply to Lee about inland lake winds

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Sun Apr 22 20:31:56 EDT 2007

Lee,

What Rummy says is true some of the time.  However, at other times it works
just the opposite, that is as you near shore you have to tack sooner because
the angle takes you backward.  Wind direction and shape of the land
determine the net result.

Rummy's perception is also influenced by his predominant directions of sail.
He more often is sailing up and down our lake.  Whereas I have to sail out
of a cove about 1/2 mile(?) to get to the middle of the lake.  The shape of
the island on the right side which is windward is hour glass shaped and the
resulting angle of the wind from the south or southwest means an extra tack
or two to get to the middle.  The land is shaped wrong to get a positive
wind effect except when returning.  And even then it is away from the
marina.  May be that is why the sail club is located accross the lake from
him?

Lately either we get too much wind or not enough.  Somebody needs to
petition for constant winds.

It definitely was not a Rummy sailing day.  Was that Rummy putting his boat
on a trailer today?  If not, whose Rhodes 22 was it?

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA