[Rhodes22-list] How to Handle Gusty Winds

W Buck tnrhodey at mail.com
Mon Apr 23 08:37:09 EDT 2007

John, I know it sounds wrong but trust me. :-)  If you really are just
sailing around and don't care about losing headway (createing leeway)
raising the CB will reduce heeling. I sail all the time in heavy winds
(single handed) and often do this when winds are really gusty. Proper
sail trim is important but I think this is often overlooked. The R22
sails up-wind OK without CB down..... so when the big gusts hits you get
blown sidewise. You will still heel but not as much. Also I never motor
with the CB down unless I am in tight quarters (docking).. The boat
motors flatter  (especially in windy conditions).  It is good to see you
are using your boat. Did you decide to install boom vang? We got out for
a really nice sail yesterday. Wally