[Rhodes22-list] Bradley's Leak

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Thu Apr 26 08:10:29 EDT 2007

Dave:

     1.  Use Rummy's recommended sealant.

     2.   Art has a valid comment.  Dry out as much as possible before using
epoxy.  Yes epoxy will dry in presence of water/dampness but you get
stronger fix by drying first.  So, take down mast.  remove screws from both
tabernacle and wire connector.  Put heater in cabin to warm interior of
cabin top.  Try to rig some sort of vacuum to exhaust condensation from
holes.  You will need to be creative in this endeavor.  If boat is in water,
begin project early in day and come back after about 6 hours and fill all
holes with thin epoxy.  Mix just enough epoxy to fill each time.  Wait 30 to
60 minutes and refill holes with epoxy.  You may have to repeat several more
times to get epoxy to build up good seal and structure.  Last fill may be
epoxy with glass fibers for added strength.  Let epoxy cure 48 to 72 hours
before redrilling holes for all screws.   Then seal with one Rummy's roofers
urethane.

        3.  If you have anything else like eyes, block fasteners, screwed
into cabin top near problem, I would go thru this process with all.  If you
barrier (cabin top), you cannot be certain where it is coming from.
Sometimes the obvious is not correct.

          4.  To put epoxy into holes, a syringe or tube with bulb helps.
Also use blue painters tape to protect adjacent glass from epoxy drops.  Be
generous with blue tape because however careful, you will drop a drip here
and there.  You may want to tape wax paper to cover a broader work area.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA