[Rhodes22-list] Drunken 'Lady'

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Sun Apr 29 11:47:12 EDT 2007

elle wrote:
> ... in the cabin, one
> battery (either a 24 or 27, I forget) just to the left
> of the companionway) @ 35-50 lbs., and another battery
> just to the left of the center line next to the
> head...oh...and the anchor is still in the drawer
> under the step, just off the centerline.
> The only corresponding balance to all of this is a
> battery in the forward part of the lazarette, stbd
> side...
> I like the idea of putting another gas tank on stbd
> side...but substituting the tanks may prove
> awkward....
> In giving some thought...I'm wondering if moving the
> battery just inside the cabin over to the stbd side
> would have the effect of putting 100 lbs on the stbd
> side.
-------

elle, if I understand your layout correctly, you might
be able to change your righting moment by something
like this:

Current layout:

Bat 1 - 35-50 lb acting at 1.5' port of center
Bat 2 - 35-50 lb at center
Bat 3 - 35-50 lb at 3' stbd of center

Net 35-50 lb at 1.5' stbd of center
  = 52.5-75 ft-lbs clockwise torque

Proposed:

Bat 1 - Move to stbd side in cabinet against bulkhead
            adjoining head
        35-50 lb acting at 3' stbd of center

Bat 2 - Move from center to stbd side in cabinet against
            bulkhead adjoining head, next to Bat 1
        35-50 lb acting at 3' stbd of center

Bat 3 - 35-50 lb at 3' stbd of center (no change)

Net 105-150 lb at 3' stbd of center
  = 315-450 ft-lbs of clockwise torque

This is roughly 5 times what you have now contributed by
batteries.  The net effect would be roughly like having a
70-100 lb person sitting on the gunwale amidships.
Being as you are so tiny and all, you might just sit on
the rail and see what effect that would have.  It might
be enough to straighten her up.

Other areas to consider in addition to gas tanks and
batteries:

Tools and spares
Water
Canned emergency rations