[Rhodes22-list] Sailing at 104!

cjlowe cjlowe at bright.net
Sun Aug 12 21:49:47 EDT 2007

We've had a hot week, also. We got a break Thursday,thunderstorms,high winds
and a few tornados touched down in two small towns about 6 miles from the
house.It really trashed the main street of Sterling (only about 3/4 of a
mile long),trees across the road in 5 different places,power out for 2 or 3
days. Several houses were beat up by the trees and big limbs.
Friday,after work it occurred to me that maybe I better check on the boat,as
there were storms close to there also. I got to the lake and the boat was
fine,except the battery was a little low.It seems that I left the steaming
light on for the last 2 weeks,and the solar panel was slowly losing the
battle. As I climbed out of the cabin to lock up and go home, I noticed the
wind was out of the north, the way it has to be blowing to sail out the
channel to the main lake.Now  it was already 6:30pm,and I was looking at a
4:00am wake-up call for work Saturday.I  came up with a plan to just throw
out the jenny and run with the wind one mile to the cut to the main lake and
then turn around and motor back quick and be home before sunset. By the time
I cleared the no wake zone for the marina (1/4 mile),the wind had died down
allot,so I thought I'd throw the main out and go wing on wing to pick up a
little speed. C.R. made about three Knots all the way to the cut. The cut
was to starboard,and 2 houseboats were coming thru the cut and blocking my
way to turn around and go back to the marina.(well,ok,it would have at least
been close) So,I headed into the cut on a reach,hit the main lake,and the
wind had picked up quite a bit.Next thing I know I'm on a starboard
tack,heeled 25 degrees,ass up on the gunnels,back against the stern
rail,heels dug into the rain groove on the seat,feathering the main sheet to
keep from rounding up.And for the next 2 hours,the only thing that
changed,was the tack. When I got home it was dark:30,but I had a big smile
on my face.

Jerry Lowe

S/V Country Rhodes