[Rhodes22-list] Bill Dunn's water in bilge problem

cjlowe cjlowe at bright.net
Tue Aug 21 22:26:39 EDT 2007

Now hold on a second ,here. Just because there is a fire department in
town,doesn't mean you have to yell  FIRE!You might want to ask more
questions before you break out the VISA card,I know I want to.
What year is your boat? How long have you had her?(the boat,I'm  not getting
nosey.) Is this the first time you have checked the bilge this year? Had
allot of rain recently? (we've had 5" in the last 3 days) What State do you
live in?
If your boat is on a lift ,it's not likely to sink anytime soon.You might
want to see if the water returns while it's on the lift,or if it comes in
while sailing.If the leak is while sailing,you have my blessing to break out
the visa,nothing better than coming back on the same boat you left on. But
if it's a topside leak,you will be much better off finding and fixing the
leak,than pumping out the result of it.Mold and wood rot can follow the
bandaid approach.
The first three years I  had CR  I had a leak,I'd suck 3 or 4 cups out every
week.Then ,last year,it rained for two weeks straight,while I was trying to
get her ready to splash. In the cabin, in the rain,I noticed water dripping
down from a side port.Checked the rest and found 4 out of 6 leaking. After
sealing those ports,the water in the bilge was no more.
Some one holding a water hose on a suspect area(like Rummy mentioned) might
be quicker than waiting on God for rain.

just my thoughts,

Jerry Lowe
S/V Country Rhodes