[Rhodes22-list] Caesar a reply on Boats & Rivers

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Mon Aug 27 18:12:16 EDT 2007

Caesar said, "main sail has in fact improved the reported good light air
performance of the boat."  The Rhodes 22 does not come with a very light
wind sail.  However, you can make sure that your boat is able to handle one.
Make sure that the top of the mast gets a forward bail for attaching a
block.  You may also want a pad eye or sturdy eye strap about 2/3's the way
up the mast for a spinnaker pole toping lift.

Spinnakers are light wind sails.  They come with several names and types.
There are symmetrical and asymmetrical.  There are versions of the
asymmetrical called drifters.  Also a similar purpose sail is the UPS.  Look
at the home page of this web site and follow the pages to pictures of a UPS
sail on a Rhodes 22.

I would recommend getting to know your boat before adding to your sail
inventory.

I have my boat set up to fly a spinnaker.  In setting up to be able to do
so, I followed the directions of a former member of this list, Roger.

There are several good books that explain sails.  However, the sails that
Stan sets up a R22 with are a good start.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA