[Rhodes22-list] Anchoring -- It's Not Just Me

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Thu Feb 1 22:11:48 EST 2007

Thanks, Dave,

No apologies needed.

It's a difficult thing to learn because we all tend not to practice
anchoring, and much of what we read in the commercial press was written
by people without as much experience in anchoring as they have in other
things.

I knew next to nothing when I started practicing, and then I found that
many things I had read did not work out the same way in practice.

The bottom line for me is that Fortress Anchors are great for R-22s.  If
you learn how to set them properly they simply won't let go until you
are almost directly above them, and then they release.  If you dispense
with the chain rode they are much easier to handle, and in fact set
better.  Because you can easily disassemble them, you can carry multiple
anchors for use in extreme conditions.  I use a small anchor deployed
from the stern and moved to the bow most of the time.  The anchor will
not release in any winds I ever expect to encounter.  If winds are too
great for this anchor I would be more inclined to heave-to in any case.

This summer I plan to get back to multiple anchoring.  There are
fireworks at a nearby amusement park on the water every Wednesday and
Friday and I plan to go down to watch them regularly and experiment with
anchoring techniques.  The hardest part of anchor testing is what to do
while you are waiting to see if the anchor holds.  How long do you wait?

More to come on this topic.

Bill Effros